Thinking about retiring?
If so, we highly recommend you meet with a retirement counselor 3-5 years prior to your anticipated retirement date to determine your unique set of retirement benefits. To plan for your retirement journey, consult the following organizations.
MTA Medical Benefits Trust
Effective January 1, 2022, eligible retirees receive $450 per month* to supplement their health care premiums until they reach age 65.
- Retiree must have 15 years (FTE) of full-time employment in Modesto City Schools, with at least the final three years as a member of the MTA bargaining unit.
- Retiree must be at least 55 years old at the time of retirement.
- Retiree must have District health coverage at the time of retirement.
*Note: Some other conditions may apply
We encourage the use of CalSTRS.com and myCalSTRS.com to take care of many of your information and account needs.
We are available for member inquiries by calling 800-228-5453, between 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
- What date should I put down when I retire?
- Advice: The Association prefers employees indicate their separation date at their last physical work day with MCS. Typically, for most certificated positions, this is the last day of school .
- Why should the last last physical work date should be identified as the separation date?
- Rationale: The benefit information, continuation/cancellation of benefits is based on the actual last day worked for the employees, not their contracted work year .
- In all STRS cases the retirement date and separation date cannot be the same day. An employee must separate with MCS prior to retiring with STRS/PERS. For example, past employees have indicated their separation date as 6/30/21 due to the information provided to certificated staff regarding the SERP. Unfortunately, many employees are had to revise their separation date because they indicated their retirement date as 6/30/21 as well.
- Will I receive notification from MCS payroll?
- Payroll receives notification from STRS regarding each employee whom elected to retire and their desired retirement date. Payroll staff will notify the employee if their retirement date and separation date are the same and will advise them to change either their separation date or their retirement date.
- In the event that HR receives a Notice of Separation for a certificated employee and they have indicated a date other than the expected last physical work day, MCS Human Resources generally will reach out to the employee to confirm the date.
This website is designed to present general information to MTA members; it should not be considered legal advice. While the publisher(s) will try to keep the information timely and accurate, there are no guarantees. The information made available is subject to change without notice. The user assumes the risk of verifying any materials used or relied upon. All benefits are determined by Teachers’ Retirement Law.